Sunday, June 14, 2009

Riverwoods 10 Miler

First long run since the Moab Half-Marathon. I've done a few 7 milers and one 8 mile run since then but the focus has been on biking so I was a little nervous how I would feel running this far. I wore my new Athleta running skirt and it was very comfy the whole 10 miles...I think I finally found a skirt that will last for a marathon.

We ran a pretty fast pace for a long run (we averaged about 8:28 min/miles). It was hard to readjust our pace off the hills and honestly I felt pretty good so why slow down. I'm sure I wouldn't have started that fast normally but Jill set a great pace so I just ran. I did shot bloks at miles 3 1/2 and 7 and drank about 3 big gulps at each of the aid stations (3 of them). I walked through them while drinking to make sure I got enough liquid and just drank water.

I'm super sore today though. I'm not sure if it's because of the hills, the pace, the fact that I didn't stretch or do an ice bath or all of the above. I did drink a recovery drink when I got home and that helped me get my energy back. My gut hurt pretty bad when I got home for a few hours but I was feeling better by dinner time.

Things I would do different: I forgot to take my endorolyte pills before the race (they help with lactic acid and cramping) and I would ice bath and stretch before I get this sore.

Monday: short easy 4 mile run

No comments: