Sunday, August 23, 2009

Park City Half Marathon

I ran the Park City half marathon on Saturday with the girls. This week is actually scheduled to be a recovery week in our training program and when we signed up a few months ago it sounded like such a great idea but as the day got closer I was dreading running 13 miles instead of 7 like we were supposed to. The goal was to run it like a training run so that we will be ok for our 20 mile run coming up this week.

I didn't eat anything in the morning and it was nice because we didn't have to take a shuttle just show up and run. The run was on a gravel or paved road up and back course. My feel got a little sore from the rocks - but luckily no blisters. The first 7 miles were pretty much all a gradual uphill but then it was nice to have the last 5 with a gradual downhill and only 1 uphill coming back. It felt good to stride it out and pick up my pace a little the last half of the race. I didn't cramp up at all and felt good even at the finish (much different from the Moab half). But my time was within a few seconds of the time I got in Moab - which is good since that time I pushed myself hard and hurt and this time I ran the same speed without hurting and pushing hard so I guess that means I've gotten stronger and faster during the marathon training.

I took 2 endurolytes before the run, drank about 30 oz of water/gatorade on the run, took and accelGel at mile 5 and shot bloks at mile 9 1/2. I drank my recovery drink after and walked around quite a bit after and stretched and I'm not sore at all today.

No comments: